The Salina Journal and its Web site, Salina.com are the leading local source for news and information for Salina and North Central Kansas.
The Journal's Web site and the newspaper provide 24-hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week coverage of local news, sports, features, weather and much more. Salina.com was the first local source of streaming, online video.
The Salina Journal was founded as a weekly newspaper Feb. 16, 1871, by W.H. Johnson and M.D. Sampson.
The first edition was published just a year after the village of Salina, with a population of 1,000, was designated as a third-class city. The first newspaper arrived 13 years after the city was settled.
Coinciding with the birth of the newspaper was the town's first real boom.
In 1887 Sampson converted the newspaper to a daily. The Journal and the Salina Republican, another daily, were consolidated in 1894.
U.S. Sen. Joseph L. Bristow purchased the newspaper in 1903 and renamed it the Salina Evening Journal.
On Oct. 13, 1925, the Evening Journal and the Daily Union were consolidated by R.J. Laubengayer. Roy F. Bailey was editor and Earl C. Woodward was the advertising manager. The name of the newspaper was again the Salina Journal.
In 1938, a part interest in the newspaper was acquired by the Harris newspapers. That same year, the Journal moved into the red brick building on the southwest corner of Seventh and Iron. The structure had served as Salina's post office since 1896.
Harris bought controlling interest on Jan. 1, 1949. Bailey retired and was succeeded by Whitley Austin as editor. Woodward, who had become business manager, retires in 1954.
On. Jan. 8, 1962, the Journal moved to its new building at South and Fourth streets.
On Feb. 15, 1971, the Journal switched from hot metal to cold type production and from letterpress to offset lithography. At the same time it became the first newspaper in Kansas to adopt a 6-column format in both news and advertising.
Austin retired as editor and publisher on Feb. 15, 1975. He was succeeded by Fred P. Vandegrift as publisher and Glenn L. Williams as editor.
In the summer of 1975, The Journal became the first newspaper in Kansas to use an electronic video terminal system for news and classified advertising.
In 1982, Harris Rayl, associate editor of the Olathe Daily News, was named editor when Williams announced his retirement. Also that year, the Journal resumed publication of a Saturday edition and switched from afternoon to morning delivery. The Saturday edition had been dropped when the paper began its Sunday edition.
Vandegrift retired in 1985, and Rayl succeeded him as editor and publisher. In 1988, he gave up the title of editor, but remained publisher.
During Rayl's tenure, the Journal became fully paginated. The interior of the building was remodeled, including an expansion of the newsroom.
On June 7, 1998, Tom Bell was named editor and publisher.
- Free WiFi
- Non-free WiFi
- Wheelchair accessibility
- Local establishment
- Phone: 785-823-6363
- Alternate Phone: 800-827-6363
- Fax: 785-823-3207
In season, we provide viewers with a garage sale map. Click on "More on this Product" to view the latest ...
Click on "More on this Product" to view Journal photos.
New Media Marketing Representative.
Online Sales Coordinator.
Ads & Coupons
Maybe it is time to change jobs? Our online job matching solution will provide you with 100's of local and ...
SalinaFYI gives you every business in Saline County in the palm of your hand!